Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
  • If you have suffered damage during the recent Queensland floods and have a home and contents insurance policy, then make a claim.  DO NOT assume that you are not covered.  All insurance policies are different, even if they may have been insured by the same company.
  • Prepare to make a claim.  Make a detailed list of all damaged goods and furnishings, including model and serial numbers, age of the appliance etc.  If possible, take photographs of the damaged goods before disposing of them.
  • Notify your insurance company as soon as possible that you will be making a claim.  When filling in the claim forms give the best information you can, but don’t guess or make assumptions.  The insurance company may use this against you later on, when your claim is assessed.  Do not sign any documents for the insurance company unless you FULLY understand them.  If unsure, obtain legal advice.
  • Keep track of media coverage of the aftermath of the floods.  You may come across information or reports that you can use in support of your claim.
  • If your claim is rejected, or if a dispute arises between you and your insurance company, obtain legal advice or contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).  The FOS offers a free service to consumers who have a dispute with general insurance providers.  The FOS can be contacted on 1800 337 444 or visit
mage by storm or flood?

Author Contact Widget Form

Contact the Author

Jeff Garrett

Jeff Garrett

  • Legal Practice Director
  • Direct line: 07 5506 8201
  • Mobile: 0419 304 174