Claims arising under the Competition and Consumer Law
The Competition and Consumer Law in conjunction with state legislation are used to preserve and enhance the competition amongst businesses together with the protection of consumers. The laws encompass a number of different types of conduct and transactions, including:
- Misleading and deceptive conduct in trade or commerce
- Unconscionable conduct in trade or commerce, and specific bans on unconscionable conduct in consumer and some business transactions
- Unfair contract terms
- Banning specific unfair practices in trade or commerce
- Dealing with consumer transactions for goods or services
- Safety of consumer goods and product related services
- The making and enforcement of information standards
- Liability of manufacturers for goods with safety defects
This can be a minefield for businesses of all sizes and must be carefully considered to avoid legal action. At Attwood Marshall, we have a complete and comprehensive understanding of the Competition and Consumer Law, its applications, and impact, and can work with you to ensure you are always acting appropriately.
These laws aim to protect consumers from such behaviour as:
- False and misleading representations
- Misleading consumers as to the nature of characteristics of good and/or services
- Bait advertising
- Sending unsolicited goods then demanding payment for same
- Misleading or deceptive conduct
New South Wales
- What is Defamation?
- Businesses Beware of IT Contracts
- Business Advertising – Be careful when making a comparison to prices
- Beware when advertising – even Apple can get it wrong
- What are consumer rights when goods are recalled
Contact our Commercial Litigation Department Manager Amanda Heather on direct line 07 5506 8245, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone our free call 1800 621 071 to make an appointment or to obtain more information or use our Online Enquiry Form to send us your details.
With four offices conveniently located at Kingscliff | Coolangatta | Robina | Brisbane, you can also visit us at an office near you.