Friday 29th April 2022 from 9am

Wills & Estates Senior Associate Debbie Sage will join Robyn Hyland to talk about the importance of planning for end-of-life care and what options are available.

Public Trust Office Removal – if the public system has let you down, there are options available


Take caution when making important decisions about who to appoint as your administrator to manage your legal and financial affairs. In the following, Attwood Marshall Lawyers Estate Litigation Senior Associate, Lucy McPherson, explains the issues with the Public Trustee Offices and why people should consider the alternative options available.

The Public Trustee of Queensland and NSW Public Trustee and Guardian

These public offices perform certain roles in our community, including acting as executor/administrator of deceased estates and managing the financial affairs of vulnerable individuals who are incapable of managing their affairs on their own.

There is a general assumption within the community that these services are the most suitable and accessible options. However, these state bodies have a history of problematic dealings and gross mismanagement with many people negatively impacted after putting faith in these organisations.

It’s important for the community to understand the various options available when seeking assistance with drafting a Will, Executor services, financial administration and establishing and managing trusts. These services are not free, despite many people thinking that they are.

People are commonly enticed by the offer of a “free Will” but during this process, the Trust Office solicit work in relation to the administration of the Will-maker’s estate. We have found a common scenario is where the PTO may encourage a Will-maker to appoint them as Executor in the Will. When this occurs, the PTO will receive significant remuneration upon administering the Will-maker’s estate. Many people are not aware that they can receive a more personalised service from professionals and Private Trustee Companies.

What services does the PTO offer?

Because they are a statutory body that was created to provide services to assist those who are more vulnerable in our society, the PTO typically assist with:

  • Acting as an Executor of an estate
  • Being appointed as Financial Manager of someone who may not have the capacity to manage their own financial affairs. In New South Wales, this appointment is called Financial Manager. In Queensland, this appointment is referred to as an Administrator.
  • Being appointed as a Trustee – if someone is unable to manage their finances – such as a minor, the Public Trustee can be appointed to manage investments, allocate allowances and manage funds.

There may be instances where someone who is caring for another person, such as a social worker, may contact the Public Trustee and express concerns for that individual and their capacity to manage their financial affairs. These offices can be involved in making an application through Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) or NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) to take over the management of a person’s financial affairs.

Last year there were explosive claims made by clients of the PTO in relation to their financial interests not being protected which caused significant financial loss and distress for those who had put their faith in them. The allegations of a dysfunctional workplace culture and corrupt conduct should be a red flag to anyone who blindly accepts the PTO as the most suitable option to handle their legal and financial affairs.

Previously in the media:

Brisbane Times – Misconduct Probe
ABC News – Man Sues NSW Public Trustee
Courier Mail – Whistleblower Slams Public Trustees Office
Brisbane Times – Public Trustee Suspended Amid Serious Allegations
SMH – NSW Trustee client dies in squalor

What are the alternatives?

Many people do not realise that there are several alternatives, including professionals and Private Trustee companies, who can administer deceased estates and manage protected estates/conduct the role of trustee

A private company endeavours to provide a more personal relationship with their clients and an overall better experience. The level of service that an individual receives is not comparable to that received through the public alternative. The rates charged by both public and private are comparable but they do vary between organisations, so it is important that people ask what the charges for services are.

What is the process for Public Trust Office removal

An application needs to be made to the Court to seek the removal of a Public Trust Office from the role of Financial Manager or Administrator and the appointment of the new private company.

The reason a Court application is required, as opposed to an application through one of the Tribunals such as NCAT or QCAT, is because when there is remuneration involved, the Court essentially needs to approve it.

The following process will apply when proceeding with Public Trust Office removal:

  • Make an application to the Court
  • Provide evidence before the Court in relation to why there have been some difficulties and why the relationship with the PTO has deteriorated.
  • Provide evidence of the suitability of the incoming private company.

Who can bring this type of application to the Court?

The individual in question generally doesn’t have legal capacity. Those who have impaired capacity are generally the subject of these types of applications.

Under the legislation, it stipulates that any party with an interest can bring these types of applications before the Court.

People with a sufficient interest can include a family member, sibling or parent who may be concerned about the current situation.

What kind of evidence is required?

If the Court hasn’t dealt with the individual in question before – the following evidence for Public Trust Office removal will be required:

  • evidence that the individual does not have the capacity, in the form of a medical report/s from a medical practitioner;
  • evidence from any family member about their opinion of the current situation. The Court wants to know the family is supportive of the application;
  • evidence in relation to the suitability of the incoming private party – which would usually take the form of evidence from the Private Trustee Company highlighting its experience in these types of situations and providing its consent and willingness to take on the role.

The court will also want to see financial reports in relation to the individual’s financial affairs and the nature of their protected estate.

How can Attwood Marshall Lawyers help?

Attwood Marshall Lawyers is a leading estate litigation firm with extensive experience in complex estate matters. We can provide legal services for those experiencing problems with public trust offices, including assisting with:

  • matters involving the mismanagement of affairs under financial management orders
  • matters involving the mismanagement of estates where the Public Trustee has been appointed Executor
  • negotiating the exorbitant fees charged
  • applications to the Court to seek the Court to appoint alternatives

For all enquiries or if you would like further advice, please contact Estate Litigation Department Manager, Amanda Heather, on direct line 07 5506 8245, email or phone 1800 621 071.

Read more:
Families forced to take legal action against public trustees
There’s no such thing as a free Will
Unfair commissions and financial mismanagement – NSW Trustee & Guardian cannot be trusted
Inquiry into NSW Trustee and Guardian backed by politicians

Free Info Pack

To find out more about resolving public trustee disputes, provide your details below and our Information Pack will be sent to your inbox. 

Share this article


Lucy McPherson

Estate Litigation

Contact the author

The contents of this article are considered accurate as at the date of publication. The information contained in this article does not constitute legal advice and is of a general nature only. Readers should seek legal advice about their specific circumstances. 

Brisbane Employment Law

Employment Law Sydney

Gold Coast Employment Law

Defamation Law

Employment Law

Download a Brochure

Please enter your details below and
a link will be emailed to you
Download Form

Compensation Law

Select your state