Compensation for Motor Vehicle Accidents (QLD)
Have you been injured in a motor vehicle accident?
Leading compensation law firm, Attwood Marshall Lawyers, have the experience to help you make a claim for compensation if you have been injured in a car or motor vehicle accident on Queensland roads.
Whether you were a driver, passenger, pedestrian, cyclist, or motorbike rider, if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by someone else, you can claim compensation. Claims are made against the insurer of the vehicle at fault.
Even if the vehicle at fault was unregistered, uninsured, or cannot be identified, we can help you claim against the Nominal Defendant instead of the CTP insurer.
Our expert Compensation Law team commit to a ‘No Win, No Fee’ guarantee, which means that you only pay our fees if your claim is successful and you receive compensation for your injury. If your claim is unsuccessful, we will waive your costs entirely.
We have conveniently located offices in Brisbane, the Gold Coast (Robina Town Centre and Coolangatta), and Kingscliff (just south of the QLD-NSW border). We also have offices in Sydney and Melbourne.
If your injuries prevent you from being able to visit one of our offices, we can visit you at home, the hospital or another location to help get your claim underway. To begin with, we can simply discuss your matter over the phone to help you understand your options and the claims process.
Book online now
1. Get in touch
Tell us your story, we’re here to listen!
Meet with one of our friendly compensation Lawyers for your free consultation.
Leave your matter in our capable hands. Our team will manage all discussions with the insurer (or their Lawyers) and fight to get you the best possible result.
As soon as we receive your settlement funds from the insurer, we will transfer your payment into your bank account. You can then put the claim behind you and focus on your road to recovery.
To get your claim underway, you need to:
- Contact Attwood Marshall Lawyers’ expert compensation Lawyers as early as possible.
- Report the accident to Queensland Police.
- Complete a Claim Form and CTP Medical Certificate, to be served on the CTP insurer of the driver/vehicle at fault.
We help you through every stage of your compensation claim. Call our team to get started on 1800 621 071.
Whether you were a driver, passenger, pedestrian, cyclist, motorbike rider, or anyone else injured in a motor accident, you will be eligible to claim compensation for your injuries if the accident was caused wholly or partially by someone else.
You can claim a once-off lump sum payment comprising the losses you have and will incur because of your physical or psychological injuries.
Queensland motor vehicle compensation claims can include:
- General damages, pain and suffering;
- Loss of income, wages, or earning capacity, interest, and superannuation;
- Medical treatment costs including hospitalisation, surgery, rehabilitation, treatment, counselling, scans, medication and travel costs;
- Aids, equipment, wheelchairs or prostheses, if required;
- Employment services, retraining, return to work assistance;
- Care and assistance provided by relatives or others to help with your personal care and daily activities (e.g. mobilisation, dressing, showering, domestic chores, house maintenance, gardening, mowing, driving, cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping);
- Paid care such as a paid cleaner or gardener;
- Home modification costs, if required;
- A contribution towards your total legal costs (dependent upon the value of your claim).
The value of your compensation claim depends on many variables. Factors that can influence how much you can claim include:
- The nature, severity and permanency of your injuries;
- Your age;
- Your income, qualifications and employment history;
- The effect your injuries have on your ability to earn an income;
- Your treatment requirements;
- Your care and assistance requirements (gratuitous care and paid care).
- Opinions expressed by your treatment providers and independent medico-legal assessors;
- The prognosis for improvement or deterioration of your injuries in the future.
Your injuries need to be medically stable and stationary before our Compensation Lawyers can accurately assess the value of your claim. Once your injuries are stable, you will be checked by independent medico-legal assessors who report on the effects of your injuries on all aspects of your life. Those reports will be analysed with all other evidence to estimate the value of your claim.
When the insurer admits liability for the accident (which happens very early in most claims), the insurer will pay for all reasonable and appropriate treatment and rehabilitation costs over the course of the claim.
If the CTP insurer denies liability, the insurer will not fund a claimant’s treatment and rehabilitation costs. We can assist you with obtaining treatment when liability is denied.
The CTP insurer is not required to pay wages or income loss payments during the course of the claim. However, if the claim is successful (as most motor vehicle claims are), the insurer will backpay all income loss (including interest and superannuation) that the injured person incurred because of their injuries.
The vast majority of claims are settled out of Court. This usually happens informally or at a settlement conference where we do all the talking on your behalf.
A motor vehicle compensation claim will usually take 12-18 months to resolve, unless the claim is particularly complicated or involves serious injuries.
Attwood Marshall Lawyers offer a No Win, No Fee service. This means that we defer your legal fees for work performed and pay your disbursements and evidence costs upfront on your behalf until the end of your claim. Usually, the insurer pays a portion of your legal costs upon settlement. If we don’t win your claim, you do not have to pay our legal costs – we will waive them entirely.
Strict time limits apply, so it is imperative that you act quickly if you want to claim compensation for a personal injury.
For a standard claim: The Notice of Accident Claim Form must be served on the insurer within 9 months of the accident (or date of first symptoms). If you do not meet this timeframe you will likely still have a claim, but you need to provide a reasonable excuse for the delay.
For a Nominal Defendant Claim (where the at–fault vehicle was unregistered, uninsured, or unidentified: A claim must be served within 3 months of the accident. If you do not meet this timeframe you will need to provide a reasonable excuse for the delay. The claim must be served and compliant within 9 months of the accident or the claim will be statute barred and you will be permanently prevented from making a claim after that date.
A three-year time limitation applies to standard motor vehicle compensation claims. A compliant claim form must be served and the claim commenced in Court (or otherwise have the time limitation protected) within 3 years of the date of the accident, or the claim will be statute-barred and you will be prevented from making a claim after that date.
For minors injured in a motor vehicle accident (anyone under the age of 18), the three-year time limitation does not expire until three years after their 18th birthday (on the date of their 21st birthday).
Attwood Marshall Lawyers are one of the longest standing and most trusted compensation law firms in Queensland. We have helped Queenslanders with motor vehicle claims for over 75 years and remain at the forefront of our industry. We are trained to listen and connect with our clients, working hard to understand your story and what matters most to you. We are driven to help you on your road to recovery and strive to change your life for the better.
Attwood Marshall Lawyers provide our clients with the best of both worlds: top tier legal knowledge, resources and expertise combined with a personal, local law firm service. Unlike most firms, many of our new clients come to us by word of mouth (i.e. referred by other happy clients!).
A few more reasons why Attwood Marshall Lawyers is the best choice for your compensation claim:
- Our free, no-obligation initial consultation
- Immediate assessment of your claim, so you know where you stand
- Our No Win, No Fee guarantee
- No upfront costs
- Our friendly and experienced lawyers and staff
- Expert Queensland legal team led by QLS Accredited Specialists in Personal Injury Law
- 24–hour availability (we’re here to support you on weekends, public holidays, or evenings as required)
- Home and hospital visits. We will come to you if you are restricted to ensure there are no delays with your claim.
- Attwood Marshall Lawyers maintain an accreditation to the Quality Management System ISO 9001:2015 in the Provision of Legal Services. Our systems provide our clients with the best customer experience and quality services that comply with a standard approved by the International Standards Organisation.
No Win, No Fee Queensland Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
Attwood Marshall Lawyers act on a No Win, No Fee basis.
You only pay our fees if you win your case and receive compensation! There are no upfront costs. We offer a free, no-obligation and confidential discussion with our friendly lawyers so you can find out exactly where you stand.
In Queensland, we have conveniently located offices at Robina Town Centre, Coolangatta, Brisbane, and just over the QLD-NSW border at Kingscliff.
Send a message
Free Compensation Checker
Want to find out in 30 seconds or less if you are eligible to make a No Win, No Fee compensation claim?