QLD Public Liability Claims
Have you been injured in a public liability accident?
If someone has breached their duty of care and you suffered an injury as a result, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible.
Whether you have been injured in a public place, private premises, at a business, or on someone else’s land, Attwood Marshall Lawyers has a dedicated team of public liability lawyers that can help you claim for compensation. Public liability claims are governed by the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act (Qld) (“PIPA”) and are commenced by completing and serving a PIPA Part 1 Notice of Claim on the person or entity responsible for your injury.
Public Liability (or PIPA) claims can include:
- Slip, trip and fall accidents
- Accidents in shopping centres, office buildings, restaurants, theme parks, sporting fields, recreational centres or other public places
- Accidents that happen at a friend’s house
- Accidents on council property, local parks, playgrounds, schools and footpaths
- Accidents in a property you are renting
- Food poisoning
- Sexual abuse or assault
- Physical abuse or assault
- Boating accidents
- Medical negligence or malpractice
You may be entitled to claim a once-off lump sum payment of compensation for past and future medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, equipment and aids, rehabilitation, as well as the care and help you depend on from friends, family and other individuals.
Our public liability lawyers are experts in handling compensation claims for injuries such as:
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Head injuries
- Brain injuries, concussion, brain damage
- Spinal injuries
- Quadriplegia and tetraplegia
- Fractures, broken bones
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Hand, wrist and elbow injuries
- Feet, ankle, and leg injuries
- Eye injuries
- Psychological injury and trauma
- Scarring and burns
- Cuts and lacerations
Book online now
1. Chat with us
Tell us your story, we’re here to listen!
2. Find out where you stand
Meet with one of our expert compensation lawyers for a free initial consultation.
Our team will manage the negotiations and discussions with the insurer. We will fight for you to get you the best possible outcome.
We receive your payment from the insurer and transfer it directly into your nominated bank account. You can then put this matter behind you and focus on your road to recovery.
Public liability claims cover a wide variety of accidents that have happened on private premises, public places, as well as injuries caused by others such as assault or medical negligence.
Most people are unaware they may be entitled to compensation after suffering a personal injury in a public liability accident. To find out if you are eligible to make a claim, call our compensation team on 1800 621 071.
Step 1: Seek treatment for your injury. Tell your doctor exactly how your injury happened.
Step 2: If anyone saw you hurt yourself, make sure you obtain their contact details.
Step 3: Take photos or video footage of the hazard that caused your injuries (if possible) and the injuries you sustained.
Step 4: Contact our Public Liability compensation team as early as possible to discuss your personal injury. We can help you with the steps required to make a claim. Call 1800 621 071.
Step 5: Complete a PIPA Notice of Claim Form and submit it to the person or company who was responsible for your injury. (We will help you with this!)
As a result of your injuries, you can claim a lump sum payment of compensation for the losses you have incurred, as well as the future losses you may incur.
Compensation may cover:
- General damages, pain and suffering
- Medical treatment costs
- Loss of income and earning capacity, including interest and superannuation
- Aids, wheelchairs, prostheses, and equipment
- Employment services, retraining or return to work expenses
- Care and help provided for personal care, domestic chores, cleaning, garden, driving and home maintenance provided by relatives or other individuals
- Home modification costs, if required
- Commercial care for things such as cleaning, gardening etc.
- A contribution towards your legal fees and evidence costs (depending on the value of the claim)
The amount of compensation you may be able to claim depends on the facts of your case. There are many different variables that can impact how much compensation you are entitled to, including:
- The nature, severity, and permanency of your injury
- Your age
- Your income, qualifications, and employment history
- The impact your injury will have on your earning capacity
- Treatment requirements
- Care requirements
- The opinions expressed by your treatment providers and independent medico-legal assessors.
Your injuries need to be deemed medically stable and stationary before we can provide an accurate estimation of the value of your compensation claim. Once your injury is stable, you can be assessed by independent medico-legal assessors who will then provide reports on the effects of your injuries on all aspects of your life.
In most cases, a claim will take 12-18 months to settle. The length of a compensation claim will depend on your individual circumstances, how long it takes your injuries to stabilise and the attitudes of all parties towards settling the claim.
Our public liability lawyers will strive to resolve your claim for the highest amount possible (and as quickly as the system allows) so that you can move on with your life and hopefully put this event behind you.
Most public liability claims are settled out of court, informally, or at a settlement conference. It is rare for these types of claims to proceed to court.
Yes! Time limits do apply.
For a standard claim, the PIPA Notice of Claim Form must be served on the defendant within 9 months of the accident, or from the date you experienced your first symptoms. The 9-month time limit is rarely fatal to a compensation claim if you fail to meet this, however you would need to provide a reasonable excuse for the delay if you missed the deadline.
Your claim must be commenced in court (or otherwise have its time limitation protected) within 3 years of the date of accident, or the claim will be statute-barred. This means you will be prevented from making a claim after that date.
For minors under the age of 18, the 3-year time limitation does not expire until three years after their 18th birthday.
To ensure you make your claim within the strict time limits, it is imperative you seek legal advice from an experienced public liability lawyer as soon as possible. Contact our team anytime on 1800 621 071.
The compensation law team at Attwood Marshall Lawyers understand the impact that physical and psychological injuries can have on your life. If you have suffered an injury because another person has breached their duty of care to you, we will fight for you to ensure you receive the medical treatment and compensation you are entitled to.
We understand that engaging with a lawyer and making a public liability claim can be a daunting process. We are here to help you every step of the way to ensure that you can achieve a positive outcome in the shortest possible timeframe.
You can have confidence in knowing you are receiving the best legal services:
- No Win, No Fee. There are no upfront costs and you won’t have to pay our legal fees if you do not win your case!
- Free initial consultation, our team will immediately assess your claim;
- A dedicated legal team who practice exclusively in compensation law, led by Accredited Specialists in Personal Injury Law;
- 24-hour availability (we’re here to support you evenings, weekends, or public holidays if you need us);
- Home and hospital visits. We will come to you if your injury restricts you from visiting your lawyer at our offices.
- Attwood Marshall Lawyers maintain an accreditation to the Quality Management System ISO 9001:2015 in the Provision of Legal Services. This means our systems provide our clients with the best customer experience and quality services that comply with a standard approved by the International Standards Organisation for Quality Management Systems. At the heart of our business is our intent to help people and change their lives for the better. These systems help us deliver our intent.
No Win, No Fee Public Liability Lawyers
Attwood Marshall Lawyers act on a No Win, No Fee basis. You only pay our fees if you win your case and receive compensation! There are no upfront costs. We offer a free, no-obligation and confidential discussion so you can find out exactly where you stand from the very start.
Send a message
Free Compensation Checker
Want to find out in 30 seconds or less if you are eligible to make a No Win, No Fee compensation claim?