Sydney Public Liability Claims
Sydney Personal Injury Lawyers
Have you been injured on someone else’s property or at a public place?
When you are involved in an accident because of someone breaching their duty of care to you, we can help you understand your rights and help you claim for compensation.
Attwood Marshall Lawyers is one of Sydney’s leading compensation law firms with over 75 years of experience helping injured people seek the compensation they need to help them with their recovery. If you have suffered an injury as a result of a public liability accident, our dedicated public liability lawyers will be able to help you determine if you are eligible to make a compensation claim.
Public liability accidents can happen anywhere, including at shopping centres, in public car parks, at someone’s place of business, or on someone else’s land. Our team practice exclusively in this area of law and have the expertise to determine your prospects of successfully making a compensation claim, and what steps you should take next to get your claim started. You may be entitled to claim compensation for past and future medical costs, income loss, pain and suffering, as well as costs associated with any help and care you need from your friends, family, and other people whilst you recover.
Common public liability injuries we handle include:
- Psychological injury and trauma
- Quadriplegia and tetraplegia
- Head injuries
- Brain injuries and concussions
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Hand, wrist, and elbow injuries
- Leg, foot, and ankle injuries
- Eye injuries
- Burns and scarring
- Cuts and lacerations
Our public liability services include:
- Medical negligence and malpractice
- Food poisoning
- Boating and water activity accidents
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents
- Accidents in shopping centres, car parks, office buildings, restaurants, entertainment venues, theme parks, sport centres, and other public places
- Accidents on someone else’s property
- Accidents on council land, council parks, playgrounds, and footpaths
- Accidents at schools
- Accidents at rental properties where you are the tenant
- Physical and/or sexual assault or abuse
Book online now
1. Talk to our team
Tell us your story; we are here to listen and help you understand your rights.
Sit with one of our public liability lawyers for a free initial consultation.
Let us handle all discussions and negotiations with the insurer. We will fight for you to ensure you can achieve the best possible result.
Once your matter has settled and we receive your compensation payment, we will transfer it directly into your nominated bank account.
Many people who are injured in a public place or on someone else’s property are unsure if they are entitled to make a compensation claim for their injury. Public liability accidents can happen in a wide variety of places, and these types of claims can also include injuries caused by others such as medical negligence, assault, or food poisoning.
The best way to determine your right to compensation is to speak to one of our Sydney public liability lawyers so that they can discuss your specific matter with you and let you know where you stand. Contact our team any time on 1800 621 071.
Step 1: If you are injured, get medical treatment immediately and let your doctor know how your injury happened.
Step 2: Collect the contact details of anyone who witnessed you getting injured.
Step 3: Take photographs or video footage of your injuries and the place that the accident happened.
Step 4: Contact our Sydney public liability lawyers on 1800 621 071 to discuss your claim.
Step 5: Serve a letter of demand on the person or entity who is responsible for your injury. We can help you with this!
For assistance with completing the steps required to make a public liability claim, contact our team on 1800 621 071.
If you have been involved in a public liability accident, the type of compensation you may be entitled to may cover:
- General damages, pain and suffering
- Loss of income and earning capacity, including interest and superannuation
- Medical treatment and rehabilitation costs
- Aids, wheelchairs, prosthesis, and other equipment
- Employment services, retraining or return to work expenses
- Personal care costs, and care and help required for domestic chores, cleaning, gardening, driving, home maintenance
- Home modification costs, if required
- Commercial care for things such as cleaning and gardening
- A contribution towards your legal fees and evidence costs (depending on the value of your claim)
There are many different factors that can impact how much compensation you may be entitled to if you have been involved in a public liability accident. Some of the factors that will impact the value of your claim include:
- The nature, severity, and permanency of your injury
- Your income and employment history
- Your qualifications
- Your age
- The impact your injury will have on your earning capacity
- Your treatment and care needs
- The opinions expressed by your treatment providers and independent medico-legal assessors
In order to determine an accurate estimate of the value of your claim, your injuries need to be deemed medically stable and stationary. Once your injuries are stable, it is at this stage you will be assessed by independent medico-legal assessors who will provide reports on the effects your injuries have had, and will have, on all aspects of your life.
Generally, most public liability claims take 12-24 months to resolve. The duration of a compensation claim will depend on your specific circumstances, how long your injuries take to stabilise, and the attitudes of all parties involved towards settling the claim.
Our Sydney lawyers are always driven to settle your claim as quickly as possible so that you can move on with your life and hopefully put this stressful time behind you.
In most cases, public liability claims are settled informally at a settlement conference before the claim makes it to court. It is rare for these types of claims to proceed all the way to court, although it can happen, and if your matter is not successful in settling at a settlement conference, we will support you every step of the way until your claim reaches a resolution.
Strict time limits apply! An injured person must serve a letter of demand on the negligent party and commence the claim in court (by filing and serving pleadings) within 3 years of the accident. If you fail to meet this time limit the claim will be statute-barred. This means you will be prevented from making a claim after that date.
If you have been injured in a public liability accident, it is imperative that you obtain trusted legal advice at the earliest opportunity to ensure you make your claim within the strict time limitations. Contact our team on 1800 621 071 any time to get your claim underway.
As a leading compensation law firm, our public liability lawyers understand the impact an injury or illness can have on your life and your livelihood. It is our intent to help people and change their lives for the better. We have an excellent track record for succeeding with New South Wales public liability claims, often in the face of unlikely odds.
We understand that getting legal advice after you have sustained an injury or illness can be overwhelming and daunting, however we make the process as stress-free and simple as possible. We are here to support you throughout the entire process and will do everything possible to achieve a positive outcome for you in the shortest timeframe.
We promise you:
- Our No Win, No Fee guarantee. This means there are no upfront costs and you won’t have to pay out legal fees if you do not win your case.
- A free initial no-obligation consultation. We will assess your claim immediately to tell you exactly where you stand from the outset.
- An expert team that practice exclusively in compensation law, led by Accredited Specialists in Personal Injury Law.
- 24-hour availability
- Home or hospital visits if you are unable to visit us at one of our offices.
- Attwood Marshall Lawyers maintain an accreditation to the Quality Management System ISO 9001:2015 in the Provision of Legal Services. This means our systems provide our clients with the best customer experience and quality services that comply with a standard approved by the International Standards Organisation for Quality Management Systems. These systems help us deliver our intent.
No Win, No Fee Public Liability Lawyers
Attwood Marshall Lawyers act on a No Win, No Fee basis. You only pay our fees if you win your case and receive compensation! There are no upfront costs.
We offer a free, no-obligation and confidential discussion so you can find out exactly where you stand from the start.
Send a message
Free Compensation Checker
Want to find out in 30 seconds or less if you are eligible to make a No Win, No Fee compensation claim?