Public Liability Accidents and Claims
No Win, No Fee Brisbane Lawyers
Getting injured can have a devastating impact on your life and livelihood. If someone has breached their duty of care and it has resulted in you being injured, you may have a public liability claim.
Whether you have been injured in a public place, on someone’s private premises or land, or in a slip, trip or fall accident anywhere throughout Brisbane, Attwood Marshall Lawyers has expert public liability lawyers to help you make a claim for compensation.
You may be entitled to claim:
- Wages or income
- Treatment costs
- Rehabilitation costs
- Travel and medication
- Pain and suffering
- Care and assistance for home help provided by others
Attwood Marshall Lawyers are experts in handling compensation claims for all types of public liability injuries including:
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Head injury
- Eye injury
- Psychological injury and trauma
- Scarring and Burns
- Cuts and Lacerations
To be successful in making a claim for compensation, the person at fault for your injury must have owed you a duty of care, breached that duty and you suffered the injury as a result. Public liability claims include an extremely wide variety of personal injury claims, such as:
- Slip, trip and fall accidents
- Accidents in private premises or buildings (e.g. shopping centres, buildings, offices, restaurants etc.)
- Accidents at a friend or relative’s house or premises
- Accidents in public areas
- Accidents on council land, parks, gardens, playgrounds, schools and footpaths
- Accidents as a tenant of a rental property owned by someone else (landlord)
- Food poisoning
- Sexual abuse or assaults
- Physical abuse or assaults
- Accidents at recreational centres, amusement parks, sporting fields, entertainment centres
- A work injury on someone else’s work site or at a place under someone else’s control (e.g. a principal contractor)
- Boat accidents
- Medical negligence or medical malpractice
Our Brisbane Public Liability Lawyers work on a No Win, No Fee basis which means that you only pay our fees if you receive a settlement or compensation. If your claim is unsuccessful, we will waive your fees and you do not have to pay any costs.
Our friendly lawyers offer a free, no-obligation consultation. You can make an appointment to meet with any of our experienced team located at Level 27, Santos Place, Turbot Street, Brisbane. We can also come to your home, a hospital or discuss your claim over the phone or via Zoom for your convenience.
*Time Limits Apply – contact us today.
Book online now
1. Get in touch
Tell us your story, we’re here to listen
Our expert Brisbane legal team will meet with you for your initial consultation
You can leave this to our team to handle, who will manage all discussions with the insurer and fight to get you the best result
We will process your payment as soon as it has been received
Brisbane Public Liability Claims – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have been injured in a public liability accident, or injured due to the actions of someone else, you may be able to make a public liability claim.
Public liability claims cover many different types of accidents on private premises, public premises, in public areas, as well as injuries caused by others such as assaults.
Many people who are injured are unaware that they are entitled to make a public liability claim to be compensated for their injuries and losses.
To find out whether you are eligible to make a public liability claim, call us on 1800 621 071.
- Obtain legal advice as early as possible
- Obtain treatment and tell your doctor how your injury occurred
- Obtain witness details
- Take photographs or video of where and how you were injured (if possible)
- Complete and serve a PIPA Notice of Claim form on the person or company responsible for your injury;
We can assist you with these steps. For help, call 1800 621 071.
You can claim a lump sum of compensation for the losses you have, or will incur, as a result of your physical and/or psychological injuries.
Depending on your circumstances, a public liability compensation claim can include:
- General damages, pain and suffering;
- Income/wage loss, loss of earning capacity, interest, and superannuation;
- Medical treatment costs (including surgery, hospitalisation, rehabilitation, medical treatment, medication, travel costs);
- Aids, equipment, wheelchairs, prostheses;
- Employment services provider, retraining, and/or return to work costs;
- Care and assistance provided by relatives/others for things like personal care (grooming, mobilisation, dressing, showering), domestic chores, cleaning, gardening, yard work, driving, home maintenance;
- Paid/commercial care (e.g. paid cleaner, gardener, etc);
- Home modification costs;
- Depending on the value of the claim, the defendant/insurer may also be required to contribute a significant portion of the injured person’s legal fees and evidence costs.
The amount of compensation you can claim depends on many different variables, such as:
- The nature, severity and permanency of your injuries;
- Your age;
- Your income, qualifications and employment history;
- The effects of your injuries on your ability to earn income;
- Your treatment requirements;
- Your care and assistance requirements;
- The opinions expressed by your treatment providers and independent medico-legal assessors.
It is not possible to provide an accurate estimation of the value of your claim until your injuries are deemed medically stable and stationary. At this point, you will be assessed by independent medico-legal assessors who provide reports on the effects of your injuries on all aspects of your life.
The length of a compensation claim depends on how long the person’s injuries take to stabilise and what the parties’ attitudes are towards settling the claim.
Generally, a claim will take 12-18 months unless the claim is complicated or involves quite serious injuries.
Attwood Marshall Lawyers work on a No Win, No Fee basis, which means we defer your legal fees and we pay your disbursements and evidence costs on your behalf until the end of your claim.
If we do not win your claim, you do not have to pay our legal costs – we waive them entirely.
When you contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation, our expert lawyers will give you advice about your claim, including cost estimates if you decide to proceed with a public liability claim.
It won’t cost you anything to find out where you stand – call us on 1800 621 071.
It is highly unlikely your claim will proceed to court. Most public liability claims are settled out of court, and are settled informally, or at settlement conference.
For a standard claim:
The PIPA Notice of Claim must be served on the defendant within 9 months of the accident (or date of first symptoms) or a reasonable excuse for delay will be required. The 9-month time limit is rarely fatal to a compensation claim. Nonetheless, legal advice should be sought at the earliest opportunity.
Three-year time limitation:
Your claim must be commenced in court (or otherwise have its time limitation protected) within 3 years of the date of accident or the claim will be statute-barred, and you will be prevented from making a claim after that date.
For minors (under the age of 18), the three-year time limitation does not expire until three years after their 18th birthday (i.e. on the date of their 21st birthday).
Because strict time limits apply, it is imperative that you obtain legal advice as soon as possible. Call us on 1800 621 071.
Attwood Marshall Lawyers have acted for injured people in public liability claims across Brisbane for 75 years.
Our lawyers understand the impact an injury or illness can have on your life and your livelihood and our team are trained to listen and connect with you to ensure that we understand your story and what is important to you.
We act on a No Win, No Fee basis.
We know that it can be a daunting process when making a public liability claim for compensation. We are here to assist you every step of the way to ensure that you achieve your optimum result in the shortest time and with as little stress as possible.
No Win, No Fee Brisbane Public Liability Lawyers
Attwood Marshall Lawyers act on a No Win, No Fee basis on almost all compensation claims, so you only pay our fees if you win your case and receive compensation. There are no upfront costs. We offer a free, no-obligation and confidential discussion to find out where you stand. You can visit our team at our Brisbane City office, or we can discuss your matter over the phone or via Zoom.
Book your Free Brisbane Consultation
Been injured and wondering if you qualify for a compensation claim? It costs you nothing to find out.
Get in touch with our friendly Brisbane team today by calling 1800 621 071 or enter your details below and we will contact you to book in your free, no-obligation consultation.
Send a message
Free Compensation Checker
Check now to determine if you have a No Win, No Fee compensation claim in 30 seconds or less.